March 07

Communicating With Family As A Parent’s Agent


“I’m my dad’s agent under a Power of Attorney and he is no longer competent. My sister needs money and keeps asking for information. Do I need to provide information to her?”

Communicating with Family as a Parent's Agent

If you are named as your father’s agent, agent under a power of attorney, and you have a family member who’s asking how you’ve been managing your father’s finances, in New Hampshire you actually do have a duty to respond to request for information.

If you have a sibling who’s asking for information and you’re not quite sure whether you should provide it, it’s always a good idea to speak to someone who knows what the laws are in the state of New Hampshire.

At a minimum, if she sends you a letter in writing requesting how you’ve been managing your dad’s finances, you do have to respond because if you don’t within a matter of 60 days, she can go to court and ask a court to request that you respond to her.

Ann N. Butenhof, CELA
Judith L. Bomster, Esquire
Judith K. Jones, Esquire

Sonia Gianitsis
Renee Lubinski, EA

Administrative Staff
› Denise M. Aiken – Executive Assistant/Office Manager
› Caitlin M. Nelson – Receptionist
› Debra Doyon  Accounting Manager
› Mary Smith  Clerk